Photo by: Me, Lívia Alencar

Hi everyone,


I'm back.


In this post I'll talk about the first project for Introduction to Digital Media. It was very fast to come up with an idea, but I'm telling you, the first draft was 101% different from the final piece.

I joined the Slack group for Interactive Fiction and there my group was formed. We started the story using the website Inkle (the 1st picture in this post is our first draft), and after three hours of hard work we decided that we were done for the day (especially because the last bus leaving college is at 6pm and I had to catch it as I have no other way home), so we tried to save it but as the site is been shut down soon it wasn't saving our work. By mistake I closed the tab before we copied and pasted the text in our Slack group chat.

Now you understand why Gareth was saying that I "deleted all our hard work" (I'm paraphrasing him)
.

After looking around the internet for a new platform to use instead of Inkle we decided to use Twine (which, honestly, is much easier to use than Inkle).

When we met again we worked for a long time (pretty much the entire day 
🙈) on our ~new~ story (which was looking like this ↓↓↓, I know it looks very confusing but it really wasn't as confusing as in the other website).



While we were doing the research on the history of Interactive Fiction for the presentation we learned that the first Interactive Fiction game was called "Colossal Cave Adventure" (but it was called ADVENT because the filename could only have 6 characters) and it was created by Will Crowther in 1976 (a way he found to connect himself with his children) after he got divorced.

The game is a simple single player that gives you simple answers such as "go left" in order to progress. This game was used as a base to many choice based games created until today.


That’s it, see you soon
Lívia Alencar